Joan Josephson has over 40 years of legal experience, concentrating her practice on representing public employers and public school boards of education in all areas affecting their operations, including labor and employment and special education.
Prior to joining Parker McCay, Ms. Josephson served as a Hearing Examiner for the New Jersey Public Employment Relations Commission and represented the New Jersey Supreme Court and the Judiciary in all labor and employment law matters.
Joan frequently lectures on labor and employment law topics.
During her career in school law, Ms. Josephson has:
- Handled petitions to determine the scope of negotiations, unfair practice charges, representation petitions and clarification of unit petitions.
- Negotiated public sector labor contracts.
- Represented nearly every type of school district, including K-8, K-12, regional high school, vocational, and special services districts.
- Assisted school districts in developing Individualized Education Programs (IEP), providing regular in-service training programs for staff and administrators, and offering mediation and due process hearings.
- Litigated tenure removal cases and special education matters when resolution cannot be obtained.
- Participated in negotiations training for clients.
Joan resides in Trenton, New Jersey. She is an avid ice dancer and has traveled all over the world including Europe, the Silk Road in China, Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and Patagonia. She is from a family of lawyers which include her father-in-law, son, son-in-law, niece and nephew.
- District VII Ethics Committee
- Mercer County Bar Association (Member, Public Education Committee and Women Lawyers’ Committee)
- Mercer County Bar Foundation (Trustee)
- Mercer County Women Lawyers’ Caucus
- New Jersey State Bar Association (General Council Delegate; Dispute Resolution Section; Labor and Employment Law Section; Women’s Rights Section)
- Rutgers University Institute of Labor Management (Adjunct faculty member)
- The College of New Jersey (Former adjunct faculty member)
- Seton Hall Law School (J.D., 1975)
- The College of New Jersey (B.A., 1972, graduated with high honors)
- New Jersey