Stephen Luttrell’s interest in environmental law was a natural outgrowth of six years spent as an environmental analyst and consultant after earning an undergraduate degree in Geographic Science.
Steve advises clients on potential environmental obligations and liabilities imposed by New Jersey statutes and New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (“NJDEP”) regulations. He counsels prospective real estate purchasers in pre-acquisition environmental due diligence focusing on identifying and mitigating potential risks. He has extensive experience in regulatory issues related to cleanup of contaminated industrial, municipal, commercial, and residential properties, with a particular expertise in dealing with issues related to groundwater, soil, and soil vapor contamination, achieving regulatory closure, remedial action permitting, and redevelopment of contaminated properties for residential use. He has successfully negotiated access agreements to conduct environmental investigations of properties situated in the vicinity of a contaminated property. His hands on experience managing environmental remediation projects includes negotiating technical services agreements with environmental consultants, soliciting bids, managing environmental investigations and remediation, and working with environmental insurance markets to mitigate the financial risks associated with environmental concerns.
To assist clients with properties in heavy industry who have received NJDEP Notices of Violation, Steve has successfully conducted analysis and prepared responses to mitigate or eliminate further action. Steve also has experience with waterfront development permitting, modification, and waivers and counsels clients on environmental issues related to NJ solid waste facilities, including NJDEP approval for municipal solid waste bonds.
Honors & Awards
- Winning Team-50th Annual Theodore L. Reimel Moot Court Competition, March 2010
- Best Oralist- Final Round of the 50th Annual Theodore L. Reimel Moot Court Competition, March 2010
- Best Brief-William Spong Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition, William & Mary School of Law, February 2010
- Contractor of the Quarter- US Air Force of the Civil Engineer, Fall 2006
- Contractor of the Quarter- US Air Force Directorate of Mission Support, Fall 2006
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association
- Villanova Law Alumni Association, Board Member
- Interstate Cemetery Corporation, Board Member
- Matthew N. Zolotor Scholarship Fund, Board Member
- Judicial Extern for Judge Susan Peikes Gantman, Superior Court of Pennsylvania
- Villanova School of Law (J.D., 2011, cum laude)
- James Madison University (B.S., Geographic Science, 2002)
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey