Van McPherson has extensive knowledge of governmental entities dating back to his time as an undergraduate when he worked with federal and state legislators to pass the College Cost Reduction and Access Act as well as other higher education laws.
As a member of the firm’s Municipal and Government Department, Van represents municipalities in all areas including drafting resolutions, ordinances, lease agreements, Open Public Records Act requests, bid specifications, and shared services agreements in addition to municipal litigation matters. Van’s experience with state legislation provides him profound insight in drafting municipal legislation and alerting clients of the impact of newly enacted laws.
Van is also a member of the firm’s Construction Department representing public entities in matters including bidding issues, delay claims, construction defects, and complex litigation. Van’s background as a municipal and governmental practitioner provides him keen insight into construction litigation involving public entities.
Van currently resides in Egg Harbor Township. He enjoys fishing, traveling, and relaxing at the Jersey Shore. He is an avid fan of all Philadelphia sports teams and of UConn athletics.
- Atlantic County Bar Association (Trustee)
- New Jersey Bar Association (Young Lawyers Division and Local Government Section)
- Vincent S. Haneman American Inn of Court
- Greater Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce (Economic Development Committee)
- Van is frequently invited to speak to Atlantic County youth about the importance of attending college and about the legal field.
- Faith Baptist Church (Member)
- Boys and Girls Club, Champions of Youth (Former Mentor)
- Successfully represented municipal client in a ballot challenge in an election lawsuit.
- Successfully represented municipal client in organizing special election initiated by petition.
- Successfully obtained a dismissal of labor arbitration for a municipal client.
- Successfully represented municipal client to settle dispute with volunteer fire company.
Case Study-College Cost Reduction and Access Act
While attending the University of Connecticut, Van McPherson served as the Chief Operating Officer and State Board Chairman of Conn PIRG, a subsidiary of the U.S. Public Interest Research Group.In this role, he managed community service programs of three major universities in the state.
Most notably, Van served as the PIRG spokesman, addressing Congress in support of the College Cost Reduction and Access Act, which was signed into law in 2007 by President George W. Bush.
Van worked with students, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senator Ted Kennedy to pass the legislation. This legislation lowered student loan interest rates, increased Pell Grant allowance, and provided loan forgiveness for public service employees. Van also worked with state legislators to pass higher education grants and textbook regulation laws.
Press coverage for the College Cost Reduction and Access Act:
- Law clerk to the Honorable James L. Jackson, Presiding Judge, Family Part in Atlantic City, New Jersey
- St. John’s University School of Law (J.D., 2011)
- St. John’s Journal of International Comparative Law (Symposium Editor)
- New York International Law Review (Symposium Editor)
- University of Connecticut (B.A., Political Science 2008)
- Leadership Recipient
- State Board Chairman, Connecticut Public Interest Research Group
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey