Aetna recently announced that it will withdraw from the New Jersey Affordable Care Act market in 2018. This leaves three carriers that will provide small group coverage effective in 2018. They are Horizon, AmeriHealth and Oxford.
What this means
Aetna health insurance coverage for each of New Jersey small employer clients will end at midnight on the day before its renewal date, beginning with January 1, 2018 renewals.
- Notices will be sent to small employers as well as to members 180 days prior to their non-renewal.
- Aetna is required to stop selling new business effective 6/30/17.
- Renewals will continue to be produced and serviced as usual through 12/15/17 renewal dates.
- Current coverage will continue until the small employer’s policy ends on or after January 1, 2018.
- The withdrawal does not impact Aetna’s other small group products such as stand-alone dental, stand-alone vision, and group life products, as well as commercial large group (51+) medical plans and Medicare Advantage Plans.