This firm practice area has been serving local government entities in New Jersey for more than 100 years.
Our Municipal attorneys understand the complexities of local, state and federal laws that affect the responsibilities and liabilities of public entities. Our attorneys appear before state and federal courts as well as state agencies such as the departments of Transportation, Environmental Protection, Community Affairs and Labor.
The firm also serves as Special Counsel to numerous municipalities throughout New Jersey in areas such as land use, affordable housing, public finance, redevelopment, civil rights litigation and environmental matters. We represent dozens of other municipalities in the defense of lawsuits through the many Joint Insurance Funds we serve.
Parker McCay municipal attorneys have extensive experience in tort claims, municipal litigation and appeals, the Fair Housing Act, COAH, affordable housing, employment law, municipal tax appeals, redevelopment law, eminent domain, transfer of redevelopment rights, municipal finance, real estate, election law, the Open Public Records Act, the Open Public Meetings Act, land use, local utility law, environmental and tidelands law, Green Acres and County Open Space programs, NJDEP regulatory law, and Titles 40 and 40A of the New Jersey Statutes.
Our attorneys have litigated matters relative to the various forms of government in New Jersey, and the rights and duties of elected and appointed officials under their respective forms of government. On behalf of our clients, the firm has handled hundreds of lawsuits, advising on potential outcomes, settlements, settlement ranges and suitability. In addition, the firm has issued hundreds of opinions regarding procedures which must be followed under these various forms of government.
- March 2, 2021
Parker McCay represented a civil service municipality in a case to remove an employee from his position.
- September 6, 2018
In a precedential opinion, the Third Circuit ruled that the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection erred in issuing permits for a natural gas compressor station without providing opposing parties with the opportunity to participate in hearings before an administrative law judge.
- August 11, 2017
Decision Creates New Law Permitting Government Agencies to Interpret Open Public Records Act
- December 8, 2021
- November 11, 2021
- November 8, 2021 | 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce
- October 13, 2021 | 12:10 p.m. to 1:55 p.m.Mercer County Bar Association
- October 7, 2021 | 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.Institute for Professional Development
- September 7, 2021
- June 8, 2021
- May 24, 2021 | 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce
- April 7, 2021 | 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce
- February 8, 2021 | 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce
- February 26, 2020 | 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.SNJDC
- January 22, 2020
- November 18, 2019
- Parker McCay Attorneys to Present CLEs at NJLM Conference, Nov 19-21November 19 - 21, 2019New Jersey League of Municipalities
- October 17, 2019 | 2:00 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
- September 13, 2019
- September 9, 2019
- September 6, 2019
- August 26, 2019
- June 11, 2019
- Professional and Ethical Obligations of Municipal AttorneysJune 8, 2019
- Steve Goodell to speak at Legal Summit for the National Federation of State High School AssociationsApril 17, 2019
- "Ethics: Who is the Municipal Client and What is the Municipal Attorney's Responsibility?"April 1, 2019 | 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.International Municipal Lawyers Association
- Introduction to OPRA from the Government PerspectiveFebruary 1, 2019 | 1:00 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.Advance Learning
- George Morris to Present at Techspo 2019January 31, 2019 | 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.New Jersey Association of School Administrators
- José Calves to Participate in Panel DiscussionJanuary 26, 2019 | 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- The Importance of Working with Your Client: Access to Public Records (OPRA) and Local Government EthicsJohn C. Gillespie to present at NJLM Orientation for Municipal Officials Who Are Newly Elected, Reelected, or ExperiencedJanuary 12, 2019New Jersey State League of Municipalities
- January 2, 2019
- George M. Morris to Present at Local Government Law SeminarDecember 13, 2018 | 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.New Jersey State Bar Association
- December 5, 2018
- Steve Goodell to Speak at New Jersey League of Municipalities ConferenceNovember 15, 2018 | 2:00 p.m. - 3:40 p.m.New Jersey League of Municipalities
- Parker McCay Attorneys to Present CLEs at NJLM Conference, Nov 13-15November 13 - 15, 2018New Jersey League of Municipalities
- June 22, 2018
- April 13, 2018 | 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.Catholic Business Network of South Jersey
- Municipal and Government Attorney, George Morris, to present this "Lunch n Learn" EventFebruary 6, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.Burlington County Bar Association
- An Overview of Law and Strategies to Help You Prepare for NegotiationsMarch 16, 2017 | 11:00 a.m.-11:50 a.m.Government Finance Officers Association of New Jersey
- January 26, 2017
- Understanding OPRA and OPMAGeorge Morris Lectures on the Open Public Meetings and Open Public Records ActsDecember 11, 2015New Jersey State Bar Association
- Katelyn McElmoyl Named Trustee for the NJ Institute of Local Government AttorneysOctober 2015
- Van McPherson Named to Board of Trustees of the Atlantic County Bar AssociationJune 2015
- May 2015
- April 17, 2015
- George Morris Presenting at Government Law ProgramDecember 12, 2014 | 9:45 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education